Candidates and issues that met Wednesday’s 4 p.m. filing deadline for inclusion on the Nov. 8 general election ballot. The validity of candidate nominating petitions must be approved before a candidate officially makes the ballot. The Stark County Board of Elections has until Aug. 22 to complete that process.
* denotes incumbent
Fiscal Officer (elect 1)
Ben V. Sommers *
Trustee (elect 1)
John L. Arnold *
Lake Local School District
Board of Education (elect 2)
Kenneth D. Brott *
David A. VanderKaay *
1. Proposed by joint resolution of General Assembly; amend Section 6 of Article IV and repeal sections 19 and 22 of Article IV of the Ohio constitution:
1. Increase the maximum age for elected or appointed judicial office from 70 to 75. 2. Eliminate the General Assembly’s authority to establish court of conciliation. 3. Eliminate the Governor’s authority to appoint members to a Supreme Court Commission.
2. Referendum of Senate Bill 5
Amended substitute Senate Bill 5 is a new law relative to government union contracts and other government employment contracts and policies.
3. Proposed constitutional amendment to adopt Section 21 of Article I of the Ohio Constitution:
1. In Ohio, no law or rule shall compel, directly or indirectly, any person, employer, or health care provider to participate in a health care system.
2. In Ohio, no law or rule shall prohibit the purchase or sale of health care or health insurance.
3. In Ohio, no law or rule shall impose a penalty or fine for the sale or purchase of health care or health insurance.
• Lake, expansion of the Uniontown Police District to the entire unincorporated territory of Lake Township, replacing the tax in the existing township police district, 4.5 mills, continuing period of time, commencing in 2011.
• Lake, precinct A local option, weekday sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages, Circle K #5390, 260 S. Prospect Ave.
• Lake, precinct A local option, Sunday sales of wine and mixed beverages, Circle K #5390, 260 S. Prospect Ave.
• Lake, precinct 9 local option, Sunday sales of beer, wine, mixed beverages and spirituous liquor, VFW Greentown Post 9904, 8695 Cleveland Ave., NW.
SCHOOL DISTRICT AND OTHER ISSUES
• Lake Local Schools, (1) Bond issue, improvement of school district buildings and facilities, acquiring, improving and equipping real estate for school purposes, $12,781,563, 1.8 mills, 28 years. (2) Additional levy, acquisition, construction, and financing of general permanent improvements, 0.5 mill, continuing period of time. Will be presented to the voters as one question in two parts.
• Stark County, sales and use tax, one-half of one percent (0.5 percent), for the purpose of supporting criminal and administrative justice services for the county and to pay the expenses of administering such levy, 8 years.